Makeup and beauty products are included in a woman’s daily routine. We use them everyday, but how much do we actually know about them? Not only today though, but for thousands of years women everywhere in the world used elements as makeup products, that we wouldn’t dare to use them today. Keep reading and find out 20 facts about makeup and other beauty products that you probably didn’t know.
1. Drinking a lot of water adds an instant glow to your face.
2. Going to bed with makeup can age your skin up to 7 times faster.
3. Lipstick first appeared approximately 4,000–5,000 years ago in ancient Mesopotamia when women ground precious gems into dust to decorate their lips.
4. Every year there are close to 900 million lipsticks sold worldwide.
5. Cosmetic, or plastic, surgery is a booming $20 billion business and continues to grow. The number of plastic surgeries in America has increased by over 220% since 1997.
6. The little number on the back of the products indicates how many months the product is good for once opened.
7. Women used to pinch their cheeks to give themselves rosy cheeks before blush was invented
8. Opening your mouth can actually help you focus better, which is why women open their mouth while applying mascara.
9. MAC stands for Makeup Art Cosmetics.
10. In 1770, British parliament banned lipstick, saying it had the power to seduce men into marriage which was classified as witchcraft.
11. 60% of 12-year-old girls use cosmetics.
12. Feminists like Elizabeth Cady Stanton wore lipstick as a symbol of freedom.
13. Coco Chanel started the trend to be tan after she tanned herself on a cruise. After she popularized tanning, fake tan started to flood the market. But in the Asian region, the skin whitening products were more popular since Asians prefer paler skin.
14. You should wait 5 minutes after you apply your primer before you put on your foundation.
15. The word “cosmetic” is from the Greek word kosmos (related to cosmos), meaning to arrange, order, or adorn. The popular magazine Cosmopolitan is also derived from this root.
16. The European Union bans over 1,300 harmful chemicals. The United States only bans eleven.
17. Egyptians used henna to stain their nails before nail polish was invented.
18. Egyptians are credited with the creation of perfume.
19. One of the driving forces to modernize makeup and cosmetics was Hollywood movies.
20. The patent for nail polish dates back to 1919. It was light pink.
- Featured image source: Shania Nunez